Prepare time: 15 min
Cook: 30 min
Ready in: 45 min
This dairy-free basil “ricotta” is perfect for making lasagnas, pizzas, and stuffed pastas like these jumbo shells. This simple recipe uses jarred marinara sauce but you can make your own pasta sauce too!
- 15 jumbo pasta shells
- 2 cups marinara sauce (plus extra for topping – optional)
- Optional: ½ cup vegan mozzarella cheese, for topping
- 1 block (350g) extra-firm tofu
- ⅓ cup /80ml (40g) vegan mozzarella shreds
- ⅓ cup / 80ml (30g) fresh basil
- ¼ cup / 60ml (35g) nutritional yeast
- 2 tbsp / 30ml olive oil
- 1 tbsp / 15ml lemon juice
- 1 tsp / 5ml salt
- ½ tsp / 2.5ml garlic powder
- Black pepper, to taste
- In a food processor, combine extra-firm tofu, mozzarella, nutritional yeast, basil, olive oil, lemon juice, salt, garlic powder, and black pepper. Pulse, pausing to scrape down the sides of the processor as needed, until the mixture is almost smooth and the basil is chopped and evenly distributed. Do not overprocess, the tofu should still have a slightly grainy texture.
- Makes 2 cups (enough to fill 15-18 jumbo pasta shells.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F (205°C).
- Cook jumbo pasta shells according to instructions.
- Pour 2 cups of marinara sauce into the bottom of a 9” x 9” casserole dish. Fill cooked jumbo pasta shells with tofu ricotta. Place stuffed shells on top of marinara sauce. Optional: Spoon shells with extra marinara sauce and vegan cheese shreds.
- Cover with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Uncover and bake for another 10 minutes.