Red Lentil Quinoa Fritters – spiced with turmeric, cumin and a touch of cinnamon, these crispy fritters are oil free and baked, not fried. An easy, high protein, meatless dinner that will delight your senses.
Red Lentil Quinoa Fritters
- 1 1/2 cup quinoa (I like tri-color quinoa, but any will do)
- 1/2 cup red lentils
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup tahini
- 1 tbsp dijon mustard
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp salt (or to taste)
- dash pepper (or to taste)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup chickpea flour (also called garbanzo bean flour) (brown rice flour would work too)
- 1 cup plain unsweetened dairy free yogurt (I used So Delicious)
- 3 tbsp tahini
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh dill
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
For the Fritters
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Rinse and drain the quinoa and lentils. Place in a pot with the broth (or water), cover, and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to med-low and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of your pot. If there is still liquid in the pot, remove the cover and continue to simmer on low for another 3-5 minutes until the liquid is absorbed, stirring as needed to prevent sticking. Set aside to cool while you gather the rest of your ingredients. *You can also use quinoa and lentils that have been cooked ahead of time to save time.
- Once the quinoa/lentil mixture has cooled a bit, transfer to a large mixing bowl. Add the parsley, tahini, dijon, turmeric, cumin, cinnamon and salt. Stir well to incorporate. Add the cornmeal and chickpea flour and stir again very well. The mixture should easily come together to form patties. It will be slightly sticky, but not wet. If your mixture is too wet, add a little more chickpea flour, 1 tbsp at a time, mixing well after each addition, until you can easily form patties.
- Bake for 15 minutes, gently flip each one over and bake another 10 minutes.
- Serve with a simple cucumber tomato salad and Tahini Yogurt Sauce (below).
For the Tahini Yogurt Sauce
While the Fritters are baking, whisk together all of the ingredients for the sauce. Set in the fridge until ready to use.