Prepare time: 45 min
Cook: 30 min
Ready in: 1 hour 15 min
This recipe is incredibly delicious and high in protein!
For the patties:
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into chunks, then steamed or roasted (though please check tips at the end for an alternative preparation)
- 200g (1 cup) fresh (or well drained) corn kernels OR 150g (1 cup) frozen kernels, thawed
- 250g (1.5 cups) cooked or tinned chickpeas, rinsed and drained well
- 2tbs olive or rice bran oil
- 1 white onion, peeled and finely diced
- 1 garlic cove, peeled and crushed
- 3tbs millet or quinoa flakes (please check tips at the end for alternatives)
- 3tbs parsley, washed and finely chopped
- 1/2tsp ground cumin
- 1/2tsp paprika
- 1/4tsp ground turmeric
- 1tsp salt or to taste
- 1/2tsp ground black pepper
- 2tbs ground flaxseeds (I use this one) + 6tbs water
For the avocado mayo:
- fresh of 1 large avocado
- 2tbs extra virgin olive oil
- 1 garlic, crushed
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1/2tsp dijon mustard
- 1/4tsp salt
- 1/4tsp paprika
- 5 (glutenfree) burger buns
- A handful of leafy greens like chard, kale or ice berg salad OR fresh herbs like parsley
- 1-2 tomatoes, sliced
- 1 red onion, sliced
- 1/2 cucumber, sliced
- Yellow mustard
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- To make the patties, place the cooked sweet potato in a food processor with the well drained and dried corn and chickpeas. Blend until the mixture is smooth – with some chunky bits left for texture – and well combined. Keep in the food processor!
- Heat some of the oil in a saucepan and saute the onions and garlic for a few minutes until the onions are translucent. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly, then add the onions and garlic to the chickpea mixture and pulse briefly in the food processor.
- Transfer the mixture to a large bowl, add the millet/quinoa flakes, parsley, cumin, paprika, turmeric, salt and pepper and mix well. In a small bowl, whisk the groud flaxseeds with the water. Then, using your hands, incorporate the flaxseed mixture into the chickpea mixture until fully combined.
- Shape everything into 5 evenly sized patties and place on a prepared lined baking sheet. Heat the remaining oil in a large frying pan and then pan fry each patty for 2-3 minutes on each side. Once done, transfer the patties back to the lined baking sheet and bake for 25- 30 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Just before serving, place all the avocado mayo ingredients in a blender and whisk until smooth. Cut the burger buns open and serve with all the trimmings. Enjoy!