Prepare time: 30 min
Ready in: 30 min
A soft, chewy chocolate vegan power bar recipe full of protein without using nuts.
- 2 cups gf quick oats*
- 8 soft medjool dates, pitted
- ¼ cup water
- 3½ tbsp chocolate protein powder
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (or agave)
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- ½ tsp almond extract (can use orange extract or peppermint as well)
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1¼ cups melting dark chocolate of your choice (or make a homemade version)
- ¼ tsp almond extract (or another extract of choice — same as used in filling)
- tiny dash of salt
- Optional: 1 tbsp coconut oil or cacao butter, liquefied (helps with easier coating)
- cacao nibs, edible rose petals and buds
- Process all filling ingredients in a food processor until the mixture begins to form a ball (stop periodically to scrape down sides as needed). Transfer this mixture into a small parchment-lined rectangular tupperware container or dish of your choice (I used a 3 x 5″, but anything of a similar size will do). Press down into a flat even block. Then cover with a sheet of parchment paper and press down more, smoothing out the surface (can use a flat-bottomed object to help you). Freeze for a few hours until firm. Place a small metal tray covered with parchment paper into the freezer as well to chill a while.
- When ready to coat, melt your chocolate in a bowl. Stir in the additional coating ingredients. Set aside. Have your toppings handy and the chilled tray lined with parchment paper to set the final product on.
- Remove the filling from the freezer. Transfer the set filling block onto a cutting board. Trim off any uneven edges and cut into 6 squares. Dunk each bar in the melted chocolate to coat, wipe off any excess chocolate by running the fork tines over the rim of the melted chocolate dish. Set on the chilled lined metal tray to set. Repeat with remaining pieces. (I gather up the scraps I trimmed off and turn them into additional bars at the end as well — just rough shape them with your hands and dip in the chocolate as with the other squares.)
- Drizzle with a bit of the remaining chocolate if you like. Sprinkle with any toppings if using (have to work fast to so the chocolate doesn’t set before the toppings go on). Place in the fridge or freezer for 20 mins more to set. Enjoy! Keep leftovers refrigerated.