Prepare time: 10 min
Cook: 20 min
Ready in: 30 min
Nopalitos, black beans, thin-sliced new potatoes, avocado, red chile sauce, and yes, crumbled tofu all wrapped up in a soft flour tortilla… High Protein Vegan Breakfast Burritos are loaded with the flavors of the southwest, and full of nutrients! What a great way to kick start your day!
- 1 cup new potatoes, thinly sliced
- 1 cup nopales, cubed or sliced
- 1 cup black beans, rinsed and drained
- 12 ounces extra firm tofu, (see notes)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- sea salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 avocado, cubed
- fresh cilantro leaves, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup NM red chile sauce, or your favorite salsa
- 4 burrito sized tortillos
- Get everything prepped ahead of cooking.
- Add a tablespoon of coconut oil to 2 saute pans over medium-high heat. Add the thin-sliced potatoes to one, and the nopales to the other. Saute the potatoes until golden brown on the edges and tender.
- Saute the nopales until they give up their liquid and it is evaporated. They should be tender and beginning to brown. Scrape the nopales to one side, and add the tofu. Using a potato masher or pastry cutter, break the tofu apart into crumbles. continue cooking until they begin to brown and the texture resembles ground meat.
- Add the tender potatoes and the black beans to the tofu and nopales. Season with garlic and cumin, salt and pepper. Cook an additional 4 to 5 minutes to let the flavors combine.
- Warm the red chile sauce (or salsa) and tortillas. Wrap the sautéed mixture along with the avocado, warmed red chile sauce (or salsa), and cilantro in a warm tortilla. Enjoy!