Prepare time: 10 min
Cook: 45 min
Ready in: 55 min
Mexican Lentil Soup is a hearty, nourishing, vegetarian and vegan one-pot meal.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 cups diced tomatoes and the juices (I use boxed tomatoes)
- 2 (4 oz.) cans diced green chiles (such as Ortega)
- 2 cups green lentils, rinsed and picked over
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- dash (or more) hot sauce, plus more for serving
- fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced, or garnish
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add onion, carrots, celery, and bell pepper. Saute until beginning to soften, about 5 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, paprika, and oregano and saute another minute.
- Add tomatoes, chiles, lentils, broth and salt. Bring to a simmer. Simmer the soup with the lid tilted until lentils are tender, about 30-40 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve Mexican Lentil Soup topped with fresh cilantro, avocado, and a few dashes of hot sauce.