Quinoa is a great grain to add to your diet if you’re vegan, or even just looking to introduce some more healthy proteins. A typical cup of quinoa holds a decent 9g of protein–about the same as 1 cup of milk. This is a perfect lunch or even dinner to throw together and enjoy. It’ll leave your hunger satisfied, fill you up and it’s full of lots of other nutritional goodness, too.
- 3/4 cup of quinoa, cooked
- 1 acorn or kabocha squash
- 3/4 cup pomegranate seeds
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- 2 scallions, green parts only, chopped
- 1/4 cup olive oil, plus more for roasting squash
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Zest of half a lemon
- Salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil.
2. With a sharp knife, cut the top and bottom off the squash. Cut the acorn squash in half lengthwise and, using a spoon, scoop out the seeds. Cut each piece in half again lengthwise. Then slice each quarter lengthwise, creating 1/2 inch slices. Place squash slices into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil and a sprinkle of salt. Spread across the pan and arrange so each piece sits flat. Roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the dressing by whisking together the 1/4 cup of olive oil, the lemon juice, lemon zest, parsley, and scallions. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
4. Once the acorn squash is finished, remove from the oven and let cool for a few minutes.
5. Mix together the cooked quinoa, pomegranate seeds, raisins, and dressing in a big serving bowl. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
6. Top with roasted squash pieces and enjoy!