- 125 grams / 3/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 130 grams 1/2 cup packed dates*
- 3 tablespoons cacao
- 2 tablespoons bee pollen optional
- 1 tablespoon oil hazelnut, walnut, or coconut*
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pod cardamom crushed
- Pinch nutmeg
- Pinch salt
In the bowl of a food processor, add the sunflower seeds and blend until a coarse meal forms. If you blend too long, oils will release and you’ll make sunflower butter. (Don’t do that.)
Add the dates, cacao, bee pollen, oil, and spices. Blend until the dates have broken down and a ball of dough has formed in the processor.
Form the dough into small balls, about half the size of a golf ball, using your hands. You can roll it in cacao if you’d like. Place the bites onto a plate or board and freeze for 30 minutes before removing and placing in a jar or container. Store them in the freezer and thaw slightly before eating.
* I use deglet noor dates, but of course medjool will work in this recipe. Remove the stones before blending.
** The oil is not absolutely necessary, but it does add a nice element of flavour, will help keep your energy levels up for longer, and makes the bites easier to roll. Of course to keep them nut free use an oil that isn’t made from nuts.